Saturday, August 11, 2007

Leh 2007 - Part I - Of missed trains

Day 1 - 12th July 2007

"The big day is here. I am going to go away for three, maybe four weeks!", I thought gleefully, "But first, get all the packing done, buy a camera bag for the handycam, get some money out for the trip, and...."

Anyways, all the small forest fires were put out rather smoothly and my bags were packed - one huge bag to hold the saddle bag, the riding jacket and my clothes and a smaller bag to hold the helmet. I was all set to go.

At around 4 in the afternoon I called up Googie, and reminded him that the train would leave from the Bangalore Main Railway station at 8.20 in the night. He said, "Cool, no problem. That is near Majestic, isn't it?"
"Ooops", I thought and said, "Yeah. yeah. Thats the one."
"But, where do we meet dude?"
"Why don't you come over to my place by around 6 - 6.30, and we can leave for the station by 7.15?"
"Hey, thats a good idea. I'll do that", Googie said.

One in the basket, one more to go. In the mean while, I get a call from Vatsa -
"Namaskara! finished packing?", he asked.
"Yeah dude. All done. Thanks for that Camera Point tip, I got the bag after a little bit of bargaining for 600."
"Cool... that is that original price anyway!"
"So, you done with your packing?", I asked, changing the topic.
"No, not yet, I'll go home and then do it. Are you taking a big bag?"
"Yes, I am taking a big bag."
"Do you have space for a big helmet?"
"Nah dude, no space of another helmet..."
"Hmm ok... so what time is the train?"
"The train leaves at 8.20 pm, but be there at the station by 7.45"
"Ok, which platfrom?"
"The Rajdhani leaves from platform number 8, so you can enter from the old entrance".
"Ok, see you at the station then", and he rang off.

Both birdies in the basket, Papa Bear was a relieved man. Not for long. It was 6 pm and there was no sign of Googie, so I called him up.
"Dude, where are you?"
"Man I am still at home, I still have to clean up."
"What? Clean up? what it iz?"
"You won't understand dude... I really really have to clean up this place before leaving. It won't look good otherwise", he whined. Yeah Googie really really whined.
"Ok, so whats the plan?"
"I'll meet you at the station directly", he said.
"Hmm.. fine... but remember, the train leaves at 8.20 from platfrom number 8, so plan to be at the station by 7.45".
"Ok dude, it is near majestic right?"
"Yes yes... it is the station near majestic", I confirmed.
"Ok dude, I'll see you there."

Papa Bear, feels a little uncomfortable, but dismisses it as mere speculation.
I just left home, and I get a call from Paddax - "Namaskara! Hortra saar?" "Hello, did you leave?"
"Yes boss! just left", I said.
"So, you have taken everything right?", he queried.
"Yes, yes, everything is all packed in the bags!!!"
"Drivers License, Identity card etc....?"
"Yes, yes... everything... I have my company id card... I hope that is ok.."
"No voters ID or something..."
"No yaar... why take all that chuma?"
"RighRight.. So I am leaving for Mangalore now, I have some shopping to do there and then I'll catch the train next morning... "
"Yeggzalento...!!"
"See you in Delhi then... Jai Khardung La!", he said and rang off.

I reached the station as per my plan i.e. by 7.45 and dragged my 25 kg luggage for almost a kilometer on platfrom 8 to find my elusive bogie - AS5. I found an old couple sitting in our compartment. "This is going to be fun", I thought and stuffed my bags under the lower berth. One birdy in the hand, two more to go!

I called up Vathsa - no response. Then I called up Googie - "Dude where are you?" I asked.
"On my way dude, on my way. How much time do you think it will take to get from Lifestyle to the railway station?"
"In this traffic... hmmm around three quarters of a hour... why?"
"I am just outside Lifestyle... I don't think i can make it...."
"Haha... just pray Kookeeee", I chuckled.

Then Vathsa called up, "Hey where are you?"
"I am at the station, where are you?", I asked.
"Almost there man.. sure, we don't have to go to the new entrance right?"
"Yes boss... platform number 8."
"Ok, I'll be there"

By 8.10 Vatsha was at the station, closely follwed by his friends and Rommies, who had come to see him off. Was to make sure that he really really did board the train to New Delhi? hehe... only Vathsa knows :D

There was no sign of Googie still, and we received a message from him, "Dude delay the train somehow... I'm sure I'm not making it. But the trip is definitely on.I'll catch a flight and come".
So we called him up again - "Dude! Where are you?"
"Man I don't think I can make it... We are stuck.. the traffic isn't moving an inch...", he whined. Yes, yes... our Googie actually whined.
"Dude, just try maadi... maybe you'll make it in time..."
"Hey dude... try talking to the TC, he may stop the train..."
"Hehe... magga I'll tell him, he can expect a reward from Googie if he delays the train... hehe", I chuckled.
"Man, pull the chain! Do something dude... ", he said desperately.
"Relax dude, try to make to the station." I tried to smoothen he frayed nerves.
"Ok dude", he sighed and cut the call.

It was 8.12 and there was no hope, so I told Vathsa... "Looks like its going to be just you and me on this train to Delhi".

At exactly 8.20 the train began to roll from the platfrom, and no sign of Googie. Yet. The bogie had just rolled out of sight from the platfrom, when I got an sms from him- "Has it left yet?"

So I called him again - "We just left... where are you?"
"I am just outside the station... did it leave?"
"Ya dude, it just left..."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes... it really really left..."
"Can't you pull the chain?"
"Nah... that I can't do... you are good fella... but I won't go to jail for you...". Poor Googie... I felt for him. But really, when you have friends like me, who needs enemies... :D
"Ok dude... I'll ask the auto walla to go to take me home...... man he is laughing at me dude!!!"
"Sigh... what it is to be done dude... what it is to be done..."
"Can you cancel my tickets with the TC??"
"Yes dude... you don't worry about that... we'll take care of that.. Tension nahi leneka..."

I was pretty peeved, it was for Googie's sake that we had booked train tickets. So that, in case of a cancellation we would get full refund. And now the moron was flying, while I would be cooking in a train... tchk tchk... tchk tchk... and would be like James Bond's drink when I get off at Delhi - shaken, but not stirred. Hehe... Pretty pretty peeved.

Equally strange, was that Ojha was not answering his phone. There were a million questions in our minds - "Did he leave Bangalore?"; "Did he get leave?"; "What about the bikes?"; "What will we do once we reach Nizzamuddin station early on Saturday morning?"

That pretty much sums up the first day of our, as the Ancient Chinese would put it - interesting trip. Full of action, suspense and drama.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment: