Thursday, July 13, 2006

Manipal Mist (Jun 24 - Jul 4, 2006)

Two years ago, while leaving Manipal "for good", grateful for the four painful years that went by so very slowly, I was quite sure I'd never come back. Ever. No wonder, I am no soothsayer! To my credit, I never went back for a little more than a year. Not even for my convocation, for I was a thousand miles away. However, since last November I've been to Manipal four times! Stayed there for an aggregate of 15 days, wondering every moment, how I managed four years in the first place.



The place is hot, humid and it never stops raining. I don't even know what I was thinking when I chose to study there, must have been the REEJEE shock! All that, however, is in the past. I had a good time, in my own eccentric way, and thats all that matters.

The place has changed beyond recognition in two years. The biggest shock, is to us MITians, no more girls in the OLH/NLH!! No more Maal-Gaadi! A 13th block, Innovation center, Student supply center. No more Juice center, cafeteria! Syndicate Bank has been cut to size, quite literally! In a few years, we might find it hard to believe that we actually studied there.



No more Bioscope I heard, not that it bothers me, I had been there only once, to see "Mohobatein". I know! Of all movies to be seen at BioScope! No more shack point. High rise apartment complexes instead.

Change, that, I guess is the character of Manipal.

End point seems to be the new development spot. There were some earthmovers at work there. Wonder if the future generation of students will get to see that panaromic view of Manipal, that refuses to leave our minds.

What strikes you more, as an outsider (i.e. me, since i am no longer a student of MAHE), is the stark contrast in the road quality inside the university and that on the outside. The district officials should be ashamed of themselves for letting such roads be.

Of the half a month that I've spent at Manipal, as an outsider, most of the time has been spent at Kasturba Medical College. Why? I am not even answering that!!!

The staff at the hospital do a commendable job. Right from the Doctors, to the sweepers. Each one of them is dedicated to their jobs. The nurses were extremly friendly, efficient, always smiling. What a difference between the Manipal, Bangalore nurses and the KMC nurses! The PG students... well they all seemed to be quite competent, obviously they are being mentored by skilled surgons and doctors. That, I'd say, is the difference between MIT and KMC. The quality and the experience of the people who guide the students can't be more contrasting.

I chanced upon a sweeper cleaning a rubbish bin with soap and water! I don't think I'll ever see a BMP worker doing that. There were no Paan stains on the corridors either. The hospital charges are almost next to nothing, compared to the services and facilities that are extended to patients.

By the way, I "discovered" Kini canteen. The Goli bajjis were heavenly, the dosa's enormous. I was wondering, why I never chanced on that, while I was studying! Wouldn't have ever made the trek back to the TAPMI mess every afternoon to eat "good" food.

And when I left Manipal for "good" for the second time, there was mist, while there were none the first time around. Yet, on both occasions, I was glad to so say goodbye. I know I will go back, if only to get those recomenadations letters!!


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. hey

    im at kmc right now and i chanced upon your entry.

    i just wanted to say that so far, i've really enjoyed my stay here, and i hope i will for the next 5.5 years....

    i love the weather here, despite therain, infact i really like the rain here. anyone from delhi will tell you its a pleasant change...

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the balls rolling!! Nice posts you have given for us.hollankken

    ReplyDelete