Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Germinating an idea - step 1

Caution: Random rant! The only palce you'll read about - the inside of my cranium!

The phrase, "The plan, my friend, is to have no plan", has bounced around in my rather empty head for so long that it is now truly etched in my cranium. My travel plans are, at best erratic, and have been bordering on non existent. The cycle trip around the Bodensee - was a last minute impulse; ditto the walk along the Lägren; and ditto the trip to Munich. I spent more money than I should've on the first two ;) and missed out some very interesting thing too. But the Munich trip took the cake - I went on the weekend of an AC-DC concert and missed it. Sucker!

Don't get me wrong - having no plan works well , sometimes very well that you are tempted to give up planning altogether. For example - the numerous road side halts, to sip some tender coconut water or eat some finger licking dal fry - who the hell plans those? And they turn out well don't they? Or the unplannable pee stop. I can't do that man! Or not having any plans on a Saturday night and randomly hitting it off with someone intersting you've bumped into at a random location. Nah.. you can't plan those - but vacations are a wee bit different aren't they?

And at other times you just keep kicking yourself in the ass for having been so callous - like not having had the foresight to apply deo the morning of when you hit if off with the interesting person ;) which in hindsight is pretty daft.

So I got to make some sort of plan - even vauge one will do at this point, and do some homework if I want to get lucky or have a good vacation!

There are a couple of things I'd like to do on a vacation - climb mountains or ride a motorcycle. The former I can do in my new found "backyard" and the later I can do when I go back home in winter.

For climbing there are the Alps - apparently there are a few short ones where I don't need to be a technical climber to scale - so I need to find out those names, places, nearest rail head, prices, weather etc etc.

For winter I have my mind set on riding to the North East - more specifically Arunachal Pradesh A couple of weeks. And spend the remaining time in Banglaore. In the North East I'd like to see the Tawang monastery and cross the Sela pass. For both these I'd need an inner line permit from the Govt of India. So the next step to find out more about these innerline permits, and how to transport my motorcycle from Bangalore to Guwahati.

There you go - The seeds of an idea have been sown. Now the water needs to be poured!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment